Subscribe to our Newsletter

Wednesday 20 May 2015

A return to interiors that make you smile...


Pared-back Scandi-neutral has been the design norm for some years, so I am excited to see a return to eclecticism and colour - and no-one does this better than hotelier and designer Kit Kemp.

Kit co-owns the chic Firmdale group of boutique hotels in London and New York, including The Soho Hotel. Kit's home, pictured, has all the style and charm we've come to expect - she has a fantastic eye for the unusual, with wonderful artifacts that draw the eye in.

Kit said: ‘My style is carefree and colourful – colour always makes me smile – but this is balanced with neutrals because I need it to feel calm too. I want to be able to come in, shut the door, and for my home to feel magical."

Kit also uses many handcrafted details such as appliqué and needlepoint which make an interior feel more human and tell the owner's story. To me, this is the designer's greatest skill - to create an interior that the owner feels instantly at home in, that looks as if it has been created by their hand, though they may not have have the skill, time or confidence to achieve it themselves.

Photo courtesy www.dailymail.co.uk

firmdalehotels.com